• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FMLA and Unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bscott108

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Hello,

I will be out of work within the next few weeks for maternity leave (FMLA). The company I work for does not offer a paid maternity leave and I do not have any accrued time off to use. Do I qualify for unemployment in the state of NC? Also, what about disability?

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You would not qualify for unemployment in any state of which I am aware. In order to collect unemployment, you have to be able to work, available for work and actively seeking work. That is not the case with someone who is on any form of medical leave.

NC does not have a state disability plan (only five states do). If your employer offers a short term disability plan on which you are enrolled, or if you have purchased a policy privately, then that/they will be available to you. Otherwise, no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">