• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Direct Deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nickster

What is the name of your state? Florida.

My employer is trying to force me into using direct deposit. I do not want to use this system. It was instituted after I started working here.

Can they force me to do this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
According to my source, in FL they cannot require you to use direct deposit.

However, I'm curious. I think direct deposit is the best thing since sliced bread, would always use it if available, and cannot understand why some people are so adamantly against it. Can you enlighten me?

speedmanswim

Direct Deposit, Indiana

In the state of Indiana are Employers legally able to force Direct Deposit? I am a Supervisor for a company and another company is taking over our account. We all still have our jobs, however, the new employer wishes to force Direct Deposit and I have some angry associates over this. Please advise. Thank you

pattytx

I agree with Ginny, but since it is related, just a different state, and the answer is a slam dunk, and I'm bored, I'll answer re: Indiana.

Employee must authorize (hence, cannot be made mandatory); however, the DOL has stated that it will has no authority to take action against the employer if an individual is terminated for not enrolling, because IN is an "at-will employment state), so take that to mean what you will)
No provision in the law regarding employees incurring fees with the receiving financial insitution
Employee must be able to choose the financial insitution.

That's about it.

Betty

This is the info I have: Indiana law provides that an employer may pay an employee by electronic transfer to the financial institution designated by the employee. Indiana statutes do not address whether an employer may require employees to accept electronic deposit, nor what happens if an employee refuses to designate a financial institution for receipt of such transfers. I.C. 22-2-5-1(a)

Betty

Oh I agree. I was just posting for reference the In. law I had from 2007 re direct deposit. I recognized the "may."

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">