• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced to take a vacation day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shortjoke

What is the name of your state? Florida. I work for a small but growing company that owns/runs gas stations and c-stores. My title is Exec. Admin. Assistant. I work at Corp. Headquarters. I am a salaried, exempt employee.

Here is the issue: If I choose to take a weeks vacation that has a Monday holiday (i.e. Memorial Day week), I will be forced to use a vacation day for that Monday holiday. But, I will receive two days pay (holiday and vacation day) thereby getting 6 days pay for the five days. Question: is it legal penalizing me that vacation day?

In my opinion, I don't understand the policy of wanting to 'penalize' me a vacation day while paying me twice, when all I want is to save that vacation day for a later time. This policy was started a few years ago when I took a weeks vacation with that holiday in it, even tho it was told to me that it was not because of that (ya right). Having worked for some very large corporations, those holiday weeks were coveted due to the fact one could 'save' that one day for later use. Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While it isn't the way I would handle it, there is no law in any state that prohibits making you use a vacation day in the way you describe.

Neither holidays nor vacation is required by law in any state. With very limited exceptions, it's pretty much up to the employer how to handle either.

Ozark_Sophist

I used to take the 3/4ths of December off using only five vacation days with the method you described. With my seniority, I trumped everyone on both my line and shift. I admit it was unfair. If I had vacation, I could not be called in to work overtime (frequent overtime -- even on Christmas). The company started doing the right thing, changed the policy, and I was forced to burn more vacation days if I wanted the last three and half weeks of december off. Oh well... legal.

ecmst12

Would have made more sense to change the policy so seniority wasn't the only factor determining who gets to take off on popular holidays, so the same person didn't get to take that week off every single year. But yeah, legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">