• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Employer Screwed me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrianPage27

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was employed with a carpet business for about 9 months. I was under the impression that everything was good and straight with my taxes and whatnot. come the end of the year he tells me that i was being paid under the table and that if i reported the income that i would go to jail and be charged with tax fraud and tax evasion. I recently found out while waiting for my tax return that he 1099ed me. now i owe the irs 4 grand and he is now claiming that i was a sub contractor. i dont meet the criteria to be a subcontractor he is just trying to screw me what do i do?

pattytx

You didn't notice that you weren't having taxes withheld from your checks? :eek: If your hourly rate times your hours worked equalled your check amount, it should have been obvious.

In any case, YOU can't get in trouble unless you don't report the income and you don't pay the taxes. HE can get in LOTS of trouble. Like with the IRS, Social Security Administration, federal Dept. of Labor, state Dept. of Labor, State Unemployment Agency, State Worker's Comp authority, etc. You can report him to any/all of those if you choose.

acmb05

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I was employed with a carpet business for about 9 months. I was under the impression that everything was good and straight with my taxes and whatnot. come the end of the year he tells me that i was being paid under the table and that if i reported the income that i would go to jail and be charged with tax fraud and tax evasion. I recently found out while waiting for my tax return that he 1099ed me. now i owe the irs 4 grand and he is now claiming that i was a sub contractor. i dont meet the criteria to be a subcontractor he is just trying to screw me what do i do?
You file an amended return and report the income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">