• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found a new job, and gave 2 weeks notice...noticed something weird...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello awesome people,

I have a question! So I found a new job (yay!) and gave two weeks notice, and my last day is due to be this Friday (Sept 25). I spoke with the Payroll lady who told me that my final paycheck will be here on Friday for my boss to give to me, so no problems there.

I've had 3 days of jury duty, which I just gave them proof of today so I was curious about the hours that will be on my final paycheck. When looking at my timesheet as my boss entered it, the are only paying me for 4 hours of time on Friday (my last day). I called Payroll and verified that my boss did in fact put down 4 hours, as he figured he would let me go early. Honestly if I didn't check that I wouldn't have even known it until Friday when I was apparently going to be sent home.

I'm really not trying to be a pest, but something doesn't seem right about this, and you guys are always good to set me straight. :p

Is this okay? Or are they supposed to pay me for the time I scheduled to work?

Thank you!

~A

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello awesome people,

I have a question! So I found a new job (yay!) and gave two weeks notice, and my last day is due to be this Friday (Sept 25). I spoke with the Payroll lady who told me that my final paycheck will be here on Friday for my boss to give to me, so no problems there.

I've had 3 days of jury duty, which I just gave them proof of today so I was curious about the hours that will be on my final paycheck. When looking at my timesheet as my boss entered it, the are only paying me for 4 hours of time on Friday (my last day). I called Payroll and verified that my boss did in fact put down 4 hours, as he figured he would let me go early. Honestly if I didn't check that I wouldn't have even known it until Friday when I was apparently going to be sent home.

I'm really not trying to be a pest, but something doesn't seem right about this, and you guys are always good to set me straight. :p

Is this okay? Or are they supposed to pay me for the time I scheduled to work?

Thank you!

~A

I'm checking to see if this is still law in CA, but I do remember that if you showed up to work on your scheduled day, you had to be paid for a minimum of 4 hours as a full time employee with company of 50 or more employees.

we have a few HR residents here, but I don't want to call them by name because for the life of me I done forgot their internet handles, LOL.

and yes, they can send you home early. perfectly legal to not pay you for hours you did not work.

Isis1

hey!! I found it.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_reportingtimepay.htm

from the looks of it, him NOT telling you worked in your favor. otherwise you would have notice and they would not have to pay you the four hours.

say he sends you home the minute you walk in...there are 4 free hours.

Well that explains what I needed explained! I'll just be paid for the 4 hours, because that's the minimum I would have to be paid, even if he sent me home earlier than that, but if I work more than the 4 hours I would get paid for more. I got it!

Thank you! <3

~A

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I just want to clarify one point.

Reporting pay laws address when you are sent home without working the hours you were initially scheduled for. If, for example, you are only scheduled for two hours, you only have to be paid for two hours. It's if you are scheduled for more hours and are sent home after 2 hours that you'd have to be paid for more. If he only schedules you for four hours, you only have to be paid for four hours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">