• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Full Time Employee Part Time Student Facing layoff in NJ Unemployment Questions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beaoll

New Jersey. Hello, I was not sure where to specifically post this. My husband is a Fulltime employee at his company and has been for years. We live in NJ. He is also a part time student while working fulltime. He takes classes Tuesday night 7-10pm and Wednesday evening 4-7pm. He is potentially facing layoff due to bumping and downsizing. My question is in regards to unemployment compensation eligibility in New Jersey. We attempted to call the Unemployment office but there is a constant busy signal.

In New Jersey would my husband's existing part time school schedule disqualify him for unemployment compensation if he is laid off? What could he do to avoid any chance of disqualification regarding school? He clearly can handle a part time school schedule and full time work as he has done this for years. My second question is in regards to myself. I am not employed and am disabled collecting SSDI benefits. As far as him claiming me as an dependent for unemployment compensation would my collecting SSDI disqualify me as his dependent and/or would him claiming me as a dependent for unemployment purposes affect my SSDI benefits?

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Last edited:

ecmst12

I don't think dependents affect unemployment at all.

He needs to be available for work and actively seeking work. It is unlikely that his CURRENT school schedule would prevent him from doing that. If he were to start going full time because of not having a job, that could be a different story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">