• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring on more than current employees make

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melamina

I work for an extremely large corporation in Irvine, California. Irvine is a Tier 5 area. Today I found online an add for new hires doing the EXACT same job as I do Hiring on at $2.34 more an hour and thats with no experience.
I have been with the Company for four years and am in Senior Status. Is there any California laws governing this? And how would I go about filing a report?
I have already taken this up with HR and they said they are working on raising employees within that was 6 months ago and still nothing is being done. Time to take a stand!
Thank you

Beth3

Tier 5 area? Sorry, I don't know what that means or why you think it's relevant.

Under federal law, if you work in the private sector, an employer can pay anybody anything they want as long as it's at least minimum wage. They can pay the CEO $8.00 per hour and the janitor $100,000 a year. While it may be a foolish decision, if your employer wishes to hire new people in at a higher rate than what you are making, they're free to do so.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I fully understand that you feel this is unfair, and you may well be right, this is perfectly legal and not even all that uncommon. There is no need to file a report as no laws are being broken.

Keep in mind that while it is your right to take a stand if you so choose, it is the employer's right to terminate you if they get annoyed at your pushing the issue. Since they are not violating any laws, you would NOT have a case for wrongful termination, illegal retaliation, or anything else for that matter. At best you might get unemployment.

It's up to you what you want to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">