• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

holding one week salary due to paid salary in the first week

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hightop

What is the name of your state?ny
Have been working at the same company for ten years.They want to hold the salary to equal a weeks pay due to the fact they paid their employes as soon as they started to work there..They never held a weeks pay...My question is that should it be from the salary when I started or the salary I make now.The employer wants to move the pay day a day after pay day until it becomes a week and then he would hold a weeks pay...So instead of friday it would be the following monday and then tuesday ,etc until friday again...ughhhhhh.Thank you for your time,The Trouble Maker :eek:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm sorry, but I cannot for the life of me understand what you're talking about.

H

hightop

When I started working at this company I recieved a pay check that week..Most companys withhold a paycheck just incase you leave the company so they don't pay you a week you did not work,because payroll goes in on a tuesday for fridays pay check.My question is that if I have worked there for ten years should I be paying my salary now or when I started..This all came about because someone left the company on a monday and payroll went in on a tuesday for fridays paycheck...So they had a free weeks pay..the employer wants to withhold a weeks pay but I don't feel it is fair after 10 years of service.I just wanted to now if they could with hold my pay now or the pay when I started the company..Thank you again..Sorry was not to clear...LOL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're still not too clear, but I think I get the general gist. Not your fault; it's a complicated situation and not easy to explain.

I THINK you are saying that your employer wants to implement a "lag time".

When there is no lag time, your pay is given to you on the last day of the actual pay period. So if the pay period is, say, Saturday the first through Friday the seventh, you get the pay for that week on Friday the seventh.

When there is a lag time, when the pay period is Saturday the first through Friday the seventh, you get your pay for that week on Friday the fourteenth.

It is perfectly legal to have a lag time, and nothing in the law prevents an employer from implementing it after you have already been working there. After all, he could hardly run payroll for new employees on a different date then for existing employees.

If this is not what you're saying, please post back.

H

hightop

Okay I will start from scratch.Say abc company hires me and a get paid weekly....I do not recieve a paycheck at the end of the 1st week of employment...Usually pretty normal...Now I work for the company for 2 years and quit..Now I recieve a weeks pay when I am terminated...Now my problem is when I was hire I did recieve my 1st check the 1st week of employment..The employer of abc wishs to keep a weeks pay if you quit on say on a tuesday...Payroll is already in(even though it goes out on friday).....You would have been paid to much...because you did not work wed,thurs friday...That is why you usually don't recieve your first paycheck when you start a new job....Now I have been there for over ten years..They want to hold a weeks pay from everyone now beacause we all recieved our 1st paycheck the 1st week we where there...What should they base the withholding on...When you started or your salary now??? I hope I have explained myself better...Thank you for your time....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">