• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holding paychecks for 1099 employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Courtneybells

I am a 1099 employee at a salon... this past Saturday I missed worked because I was sick. I went to a care clinic that morning. I have all documentation of this. We normally get paid for the previous week on saturdays. I said I wanted to pickup my paycheck and she said I couldn't have it because I missed work. Is she legally allowed to hold my check?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are either an employee and get a W-2, or you are a contractor and you get a 1099. There is no such thing as a 1099 employee.

If you get a 1099 and are a contractor, then wage and hour laws do not apply to you and the answer of what she can do will be found in your contract.

Courtneybells

I am 1099... the contract states we get paid for the previous Saturday-Friday every Saturday. I feel she was just trying to "punish" me by not letting me get it that day.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You'll have to show a copy of your contract to an attorney in your state if she doesn't give you your check on Monday. As I said, wage and hour law does not apply here and I can't read your contract from where I'm sitting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">