• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hours reduction/unemployment compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrex

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I understand that 32 hours is considered full time. If an employer reduced my hours from 40 a week to 35, am i entitled to the lost 5 hours of unemployment compensation?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are mistaken. Neither Federal nor PA law (nor, indeed, the laws of most states) dictates what is considered full and part time. Full time and part time are what the employer says they are.

You can try filing for UI for the missing five hours but I would not be holding my breath waiting for the checks to start rolling in. You also cannot apply for UI without your employer being aware of it; do you really want to go there for five hours a week?

mrex

I know that 5 hours sounds small but I'm not looking to deal with the financial strain. I just want to keep getting paid what I was used to making. I understand that they will know and is it worth a possible fight with my employer but in a worse case scenario, can they let me go without any other valid reason? Any other possible concerns that I might need to worry about?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I really, really, really don't think that the UI office is going to think five hours is a sufficient reduction to provide you with partial benefits. I think it is extremely unlikely that you will be granted any benefits at all for only five hours a week. You're not only going to have to fight with the employer; you're going to have to fight with the UI office. A cut in hours is not a guarantee of benefits.

mrex

I understand and believe you. I love my job and wasn't looking forward to the pay loss. I also understand that i would have to make some hard choices if unemployement was to deny the claim. I could probably make it on the cut but not really looking to try without a little fight. You never really answered the last part of the question. Could they just let me go without any other just cause?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It would be a violation of public policy to fire you for appplying for unemployment. However, that doesn't mean they couldn't make it rough for you in other ways.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">