• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Collect Unpaid Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sphene

What is the name of your state? New York

My employer is 6 months behind in paying me. The problem started almost 3 years ago and he has never caught up in payments. What are my options for collecting these wages? Can I collect interest on these unpaid wages?What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can start by filing a complaint of unpaid wages with your state DOL. Off the top of my head I don't know whether your state allows for interest or not.

sphene

Thank you for the information.

The company I worked for was a virtual company. Our business "office" was a Florida address. The president lives in Massachussettes and I work out of my home in New York.

Which state DOL should I file with?

sphene

I notice that the "Claim for Unpaid Wages" form says at the top:

Section 190.7 of the New York State Labor Law excludes from wage payment coverage those persons in an administrative, executive or professional capacity whose earnings exceed $600 gross per week.

My gross earnings are ~$650 per week, but I am not an administrator or an executive. The definition of "professional" seems kind of loose. I provide technical support for computer software. Would that classify me as "professional" and if so, does that mean I have no recourse in obtaining the wages owed to me?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have no idea, without any knowledge of your background, experience, education or job duties, whether you would be classified as "professional" or not. There is a limit to how much information I can read between the lines.

If the DOL refuses to take a claim (and don't assume - let them say no first) then file a civil suit.

pattytx

That was my thought, too, Gadfly. I can't believe the number of people who continue working for employers who don't pay them. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">