• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How confidential is my salary information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

popplec

(Maryland) - I'm an employer and we have a former paid interns mother demanding copies of the daughters' payslips including hours worked and hourly rate. The former employee is over 18 years old and has not worked for us for over 10 months). I have no power of attorney on file for the Mother. The Mother is claiming that PoA in this case is unnecessary and that I should hand them all over to her. We have not heard anything from the daughter at all.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance.

LdiJ

(Maryland) - I'm an employer and we have a former paid interns mother demanding copies of the daughters' payslips including hours worked and hourly rate. The former employee is over 18 years old and has not worked for us for over 10 months). I have no power of attorney on file for the Mother. The Mother is claiming that PoA in this case is unnecessary and that I should hand them all over to her. We have not heard anything from the daughter at all.

Opinions?

Thanks in advance.
Daughter is a legal adult. If mom does not have a power of attorney simply tell her that you can only give that information to the former employee herself.

popplec

Thank you for the quick response. Is it relevant that the intern was 17 when she first started working for us, and turned 18 during her employment? Or is it only relevant that she is now an adult?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thank you for the quick response. Is it relevant that the intern was 17 when she first started working for us, and turned 18 during her employment? Or is it only relevant that she is now an adult?
Not relevant. Heck, I'd argue that you aren't even required to provide the info to mom if the employee in question was 17.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agreed. Doesn't matter how old she was THEN. NOW she is a legal adult. If SHE asks for them, fine. Mommy, on the other hand, can go pound sand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">