• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does prorated salary work???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SweetyGirl1208

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I quit my job 3 weeks ago, and I don't understand my last paycheck.
I know that when you are an Exempt Salaried Employee, you are being paid the same rate every pay period whether I work 80, 88 or more hours.
However, the last pay period was 11 days, and I worked only 10 days, so even if I didn't work the full pay period I would like to know how they are supposed to calculate my salary in this case???
They lowered my Day Rate by dividing the Pay Period Rate by 11 days!!! I don't this that's right!!!

What do you guys thing?

btw Happy New Year!!!!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I quit my job 3 weeks ago, and I don't understand my last paycheck.
I know that when you are an Exempt Salaried Employee, you are being paid the same rate every pay period whether I work 80, 88 or more hours.
However, the last pay period was 11 days, and I worked only 10 days, so even if I didn't work the full pay period I would like to know how they are supposed to calculate my salary in this case???
They lowered my Day Rate by dividing the Pay Period Rate by 11 days!!! I don't this that's right!!!

What do you guys thing?

btw Happy New Year!!!!
So, they divided it by 11 days and then paid you for 10? If so, that would be accurate as your last day was before the pay period ended. However, an 11 day pay period is unusual. How did that happen?

FlyingRon

So, they divided it by 11 days and then paid you for 10? If so, that would be accurate as your last day was before the pay period ended. However, an 11 day pay period is unusual. How did that happen?
Two pay periods a month?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even an exempt employee only has to be paid for the time they actually worked in the first and last weeks of employment.

There is no such thing as a pay period that is 11 days. They can be seven days (weekly), fourteen days (bi-weekly), fifteen/sixteen days (semi-monthly) or monthly, but not eleven days. There is no provision for eleven days under the FLSA.

I suspect the poster is misunderstanding the actual pay period with her personal schedule (which happens a lot on these boards) and maybe is further confused if there is a gap between the last day of the pay period and the pay day.

LdiJ

Even an exempt employee only has to be paid for the time they actually worked in the first and last weeks of employment.

There is no such thing as a pay period that is 11 days. They can be seven days (weekly), fourteen days (bi-weekly), fifteen/sixteen days (semi-monthly) or monthly, but not eleven days. There is no provision for eleven days under the FLSA.

I suspect the poster is misunderstanding the actual pay period with her personal schedule (which happens a lot on these boards) and maybe is further confused if there is a gap between the last day of the pay period and the pay day.
I do not necessarily disagree...but in this instance its obviously not the OP that has made the determination that the pay period is 11 days, because clearly the employer has divided the exempt salary by 11 days.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
the last pay period was 11 days, and I worked only 10 days

Here is a definitive statement that the pay period was 11 days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">