• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HR Overpaid me, now they want more back than what they paid !

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaelin

I recently did a summer intership for a company. At the end of the intership they overpaid me by one paycheck. I immediately contacted them and transfered the funds into a seperate account, so that any and all money they may continue to send me would be untouched.

They overpaid me about 1.2k

They sent me a letter recently, demanding 1.8k.

I called them and they had me fox over my pay stubs. I then was transfered to the overpayment department. They are telling me that I have to pay them back the "entire" check, which I am assuming they mean what they paid me plus the taxes they took out to give to the government.

They paid me 1.2 and they are demanding 1.8, I do not have an extra 600 dollars laying around. What should I do ? I have everything well documented and I am going to send them a check for the amount they gave me either way.

Last edited:

Kaelin

I did not understand your post, but if you were asking if this was in the US, it was.
State of Georgia.

Kaelin

Thanks - you didn't include your state in your initial post.
Thanks for your help, just got off the phone with them so im stressing out.
They are supposed to call me back after they escalate the issue.

It sounded like the woman in HR was suggesting that the gov. will give me this money back.

When they call back im going to try to ask if I can pay them what they overpaid me now, and when the gov. gives me the other 600 I could send it to them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for your help, just got off the phone with them so im stressing out.
They are supposed to call me back after they escalate the issue.

It sounded like the woman in HR was suggesting that the gov. will give me this money back.

When they call back im going to try to ask if I can pay them what they overpaid me now, and when the gov. gives me the other 600 I could send it to them.
The taxes they overpaid will NOT come back to you. They will be offset by the company. You are only responsible for returning the net amount that you actually received.

Kaelin

Hey Zigner,

Thank you so much for your reply.
What should I do if they push the issue?
In the letter they send the consequences of not paying the full amount included being sent to creditors.

I have worked really hard on my credit, should I take this threat seriously if I am just paying what I actually owe?

pattytx

Whoever answered that you have to pay back the gross doesn't know payroll. As long as you repay in the same year, you pay back the NET only. They reverse the check on the payroll records and offset the "negative" taxes against a future tax deposit. Just like it never happened.

Do you have the NET to pay back? I'd just send them that and let them figure out that they don't know what they're doing.

Kaelin

Yes I do have the NET.
It is safe and untouched in the saving account I opened as soon as this happened.

HomeGuru

I recently did a summer intership for a company. At the end of the intership they overpaid me by one paycheck. I immediately contacted them and transfered the funds into a seperate account, so that any and all money they may continue to send me would be untouched.

They overpaid me about 1.2k

They sent me a letter recently, demanding 1.8k.

I called them and they had me fox over my pay stubs. I then was transfered to the overpayment department. They are telling me that I have to pay them back the "entire" check, which I am assuming they mean what they paid me plus the taxes they took out to give to the government.

They paid me 1.2 and they are demanding 1.8, I do not have an extra 600 dollars laying around. What should I do ? I have everything well documented and I am going to send them a check for the amount they gave me either way.
**A: if they overpaid you, rather than taking the money and setting up a separate account you should have returned the check. It appears that you were playing some scheme at their expense and now must pay for the game you played. Pay up.

Last edited:

Kaelin

**A: if htey overpaid you, rather than taking the money and setting up a separate account you should have retuned the check. It appears that you were playing some scheme at their expense and now must pay for the game you played. Pay up.
The money was direct deposited into my checking account. I called my supervisor and he instructed me to set up a seperate account, so that I would not accidently spend the money.

What scheme am I trying to pull? I am mailing them a check for the amount they paid me.

Before you go trying to accuse me of trying to scam my company, who I will be going back to work for next summer as an intern, maybe you should get the facts.

Your comment was both rude and a waste of time.

Since you are a senior member, I will assume that you do not flame people often.
I can only guess that I have not provided enough information, so here you go.

In the future, please keep your negative comments to yourself.

If you want more information no the situation, then ask.

I came here for advice to what has become a stressful situation.

I did not come here to get flamed by you.

Now, if you want any information, then ask because I am more than willing to provide.

The company I worked for is still finalizing a merger between itself and another company. This has caused some confusion.

The HR and overypayment departments are not on the same system.

I followed up with my supervisor the day the deposite was made into my account.

He instructed me to move it out of my checking and hold onto it until the overpayment department contacted me.

This was one month ago.

A letter arrived in the mail yesterday from the overpayment department. They said I owed a sum of 1875.34.

According to my bank transaction records they deposited only 1315.17 after my last legit paycheck.

This is the amount held in that account.

I called them today and talked to a woman in HR, her number was given to me by my previous supervisor, who I have been in e-mail contact with.

This woman requested a copy of all my pay stubs, which I faxed to her this morning.

I called her and we discussed the situation. She did not know why I was quoted as owing 1.8k and got someone from the overpayment department on the line.

This person was very difficult and just kept telling both of us that I would have to pay the 1.8k.

When I informed her that I was not overpaid this amount, and that I did not have extra money to give away, her comment was that I could make payments. (She was being rude at this point, to both me and the HR woman)

I told her this was unacceptable because I was not paid this amount, I was paid 1.3. I will send a check for what I was overpaid, but I am not responsible for the tax that they took out.

It is at this point she told me and the HR woman that she would have to give us a case number and escalate. And again informed me I would have to pay 1.8k instead of what I was actually given.

I am mailing out a check for the proper amount tonight.

Next time read the entire post before you try to start accusing me of misdeeds.

I have been very patient and polite throughout this entire ordeal, but that was rude and uncalled for.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Yes I do have the NET.
It is safe and untouched in the saving account I opened as soon as this happened.
This was a very smart thing to do. Most people who receive extra paychecks that they KNOW they did not earn do not have that kind of foresight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">