• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think a mistake was made

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aswsemp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas - Is it legal for my employer to post a file with my personal information on it to a webpage without asking me?

Last edited:

aswsemp

Ok...Just to be clear...here is the situation in a nut shell...I work as a manager for a private corporation and i have two employees that work under me...one of the two employees called me and told me to google their name...when i did, the employee advised me to look at the result link with her name in it and it was a link to a PDF document that was posted somewhere on the company's website. When i clicked the link, it went to a webpage on the company's website and it displayed a lists of PDF files...one of the files contained an disclosure document and it listed all of the company's employees and their salaries...including the company's Board of Directors salaries as well. It also contained the company's 2009' financial statement. This statement was itemized and under the section Liabilities and Capital, it listed my name and the amount i pay to child support. Now one of my workers know things about me that i would not have otherwise shared with them or anyone at the company. Question is: Are their any law provisions against this discovery?

Last edited:

Beth3

Sorry, no. Still not illegal however it appears your IT Department or someone in Accounting has made a HUGE oops in inadvertently making this information accessible. This is undoubtedly a dreadful but honest mistake. There is no reason any employer would want this information to be public.

If you haven't already, notify the appropriate persons in senior management immediately.

eerelations

Did someone in your IT department recently get fired? I'm just thinking about a recent thread by the IT guy who asked if he got fired, would it be a crime if on the way out he posted all the company's employee's salaries on the company website...we told him it wouldn't be a crime but we did strongly urge him not to do this...maybe he did anyway?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">