• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

joe security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe security

What is
the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California , i work July 4th 12 hours at 1.5, i will have 46 hours for the week, do I get paid 12 or 18 hours at 1.5?

justalayman

You will be legally due 40 hours at straight time and 6 hours at 1.5 time. Anything beyond that is a bonus paid at the whim of the company.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are asking whether or not all the hours you work on July 4 must be paid at a premium, the law does not require that. Only your overtime hours have to be paid at time and a half.

Your employer may choose to pay a premium for time worked on a holiday; many employers do. But it is not required by law in 48 states, including CA, and in the two remaining states it is only required on some holidays (of which, admittedly, July 4 is one) and for employees in some industries. Since your employer may well choose to pay you a premium for the holiday, I don't want to guess what you will be paid.

But if you are working 46 hours that week, you are only OWED overtime for 6 of them.

justalayman

Company policy is to pay time and a half for holidays
So legally you are required to be paid 40 hours straight time and 6 hours overtime but due to the policy you will be paid however many hours you work on the holiday at 1.5 time. Overtime does not stack so based on your info you will get 12 hours at 1.5 rate and 34 hours straight time

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are NO circumstances, EVER, where the law requires that you be paid overtime twice for the same hours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">