• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keeping tips

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rubyrhea

What is the name of your state?Colorado
I understand that in colorado that it is against the law for an employer to keep tips with out paying the employee minimum wage or with out posting sinage saying that tips are property of the employer, not the employee. Here is my issue- I am a beverage cart driver for a golf course and at the end of our day we have to turn in all money earned, product and tips alike, into the golf pro so he may count up how much we sold and how much we get back in tips. Days later is when we actually get our tips. First, is this even legal? Is he even allowed to go though our tips at all? He claims that it is to keep everyone honest, yet sometimes we get back less than we believe we have made. We only get 4 dollars an hour, so we basically are working for tips. He claims that in his experience cart drivers only get 25 percent of sales- so if we make more than 25 percent, we don't see the rest of the money. I hope this isn't to confusing. I really need help.

ecmst12

What are they doing with the money they don't return to you? Is it being divided among all the drivers?

rubyrhea

The left over money is just turned in as sales. There is only one driver a day, so there is no one to share with and there is no tip pooling.

turbowray

Just a question

Is there a z report that states what you did in sales? Can you keep a record yourself or are they saying that you may not be ringing up items and including that money in your tips instead?? Are they saying that you get 25% period to keep you honest or are they accusing you of not ringing up items and putting that money toward your tips instead? This is a pretty big accusation and should be addressed. I would contact the labor board to make sure that the guy counting it is being kept honest lol! Good luck to you and i would keep records of what you think you have coming to you and what you get so you have figures to give the labor board when you speak with them...good luck again!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">