• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last PayCheck - Employee debts deducted versus continueing revolving employee plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sw10

What is the name of your state? Kansas

We have a couple of different aspects of the same question. The main question is whether or not an employer (not a state or federal employee) can withhold payment of the last paycheck based on amounts owed to company in Accounts Recievables or in Employee Revolving accounts.

1. The second part of that question is whether the employer can use gross amounts of income for repayment of debt without withholding State and Federal Taxes. (The statment I received did not show any state or federal taxes being withheld?)

2. The third aspect of this question involves a garnishment I have had served on me before I quit. It appears that the employer (based on statement received) added the garnishment to my current Accts. Recievable amount owed.

The main questions being:
* Can an employer deduct amounts owed to the company due to computer parts purchased in a revolving employee plan.

* IF employer does deduct amounts owed based on their interpretation of what is owed what is the best approach to take when responding back to them with why they can not deduct these amounts?

pattytx

I assume you authorized the deduction for the personal purchases in writing. What did that agreement say about what would happen to any outstanding balance upon termination? If you signed an agreement saying the balance would be deducted upon termination, there may not be any recourse; you agreed.

Re the garnishment: once you are terminated and have ceased receiving paychecks, the employer's obligation and responsibility for the garnishment is suspended. In some states, the order remains in effect for a certain period of time to be reinstated if the employee is rehired within that period. However, only the amount/percentage specified in the order can be deducted from your pay.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">