• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Late Pay Commission Checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ODog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
I work for one of the largest privately held companies in the US. Since November our commission checks have been arriving later than normal each month. This month they are currently 3 weeks late. We were told that our commissions would be paid out the third week of the month, we then told it would be the next week and now this coming week which puts the payment into the next month. I have spoken to the human resources department two times and have also sent an email requesting a payout schedule. The latest response is that it is being held up in upper managements office so it can not be processed until payroll gets it. Bascially it seems like HR is passing off the problem or blame to someone else. We have always had clear direction on what we would be paid in the past and it seems like the payments have a consistent pattern of being late for the past 5 months. Can anything be done about this? What rights do the employees have in terms of the company holding incentives the employees have earned. It seems like no one is albe to fix the issue.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

Can anything be done about this? What rights do the employees have in terms of the company holding incentives the employees have earned.
Other than trying to talk with them, there is likely no real solution. Bonus's are not protected as wages are and fall under contract law. Unless there is an agreement for payment on a specific schedule, no breach, no case.

ODog

They did provide us with a commission program in writing. I also have an email from HR stating that they apologize it's late and will try to pay by a certain week each month. I will have to do some further research to see if it states that we are to be paid monthly. The commission program is very long and difficult to interpret. If I am able to locate this where do I start?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You would have to take all of the associated documentation to a local attorney to see if it represents a binding and enforceable contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">