• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Late Paycheck (2 and a half weeks late)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Striker1211

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My pay period was supposed to be two weeks. I started working on the 13th of June and was supposed to be paid on the 24th. The job was only temporary, i was setting up a new location of a large (over 6000 stores) dollar store chain. They paid me for 2.5 hours of the time i had worked on the 22nd on the 1st of this month. I worked a total of 24.5 hours. The 2.5 hours was time when i was shorty working as a clerk for the store itself, and not the time i was setting it up. The store manager told me that i would get a "check in the mail soon" when i picked up the first check. She said it was out of her control because the "construction manager" handled that, and she only handled cashiers and the clerk's paychecks. I am calling the store chain's main phone number tomorrow and seeing if i can get ahold of an HR person. Is this legal what they did? I had to give up some services to make sure i didn't overdraft, i had to "pause" my website to make sure i didn't hit the next billing period, had to "pause" my online music service for the same reason. They can't just not give me a paycheck right? I'm worried they will say they have no record of me working for them because the damn "construction" manager kept the time sheet on a college-ruled notebook pad, and because i cashed the first paycheck for $15 since i needed the money they might say "oh, we show you getting a paycheck" or something along those lines. They weren't very good at bookkeeping at the store when i was building it. They hired 32 people instead of 17 since they figured a lot of people would quit the first day. This caused me to only get a third of the hours they told me i was going to work. We had to check in every day for our hours since there was no set schedule. Ok, i'm ranting now... thanks for any help you may give.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They have to pay you for all the work you actually did, and if they don't you can file a complaint with the state DOL.

However, unless you have a bona fide contract guaranteeing the number of hours you are to work, they can schedule you for as many or as few hours as they feel they need.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">