• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to dock a non-exempt part time employee's pay for mistakes they make?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I work in the delivery business and on occassion, my part-time non-exempt employees will make mistakes that require me to issue credit to customers or require me to pay money to correct the mistake.

Is it legal for me to dock the employees' pay for the cost to correct the mistake?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mlane58

No, you as the employer cannot legally make such a deduction from your employees' wages if, by reason of mistake or accident a cash shortage, breakage, or loss of company property/equipment occurs.

The California courts have held that losses occurring without any fault on the part of the employee or that are merely the result of simple negligence are inevitable in almost any business operation and thus, the employer must bear such losses as a cost of doing business. For example, if you accidentally drop a tray of dishes, take a bad check, or have a customer walkout without paying a check, your employer cannot deduct the loss from your paycheck.

You can however, use corrective action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">