• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LIGHT DUTY and return to regular duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bwarhank

What is the name of your state? NM

The city placed my husband on light duty and cut his wage to laborer until he returns to regular duty in 4 weeks. He was classified as a heavy equipment operator and was not reclassified to laborer just given the wage cut until he returns to normal work duty. When he returned to work this week the city posted his regular position for a replacement. Can they replace him and leave him at laborer wage but classified as heavy equipment operator? Can they force him into another position when he returns to normal work duty? We are not getting answers from City HR. Do you have any suggestions or answers for us?

Thank you

Beth3

Was your husband on a medical leave of absence? If so, for how long? And how long has he worked for the city? (The answers to these questions may help determine whether the city can fill his regular position.)

In answer to your question about whether they can cut his wages while he's working a light duty job, the answer is yes.

If your husband's workplace is unionized and there is a CBA in place, then the answers to all your questions will depend almost entirely on the particulars of the contract.

bwarhank

light duty and regular duty

My husband was on leave for 3 weeks. He used his sick and annual for that time. He returned and his position was posted the same day. He has been with the city for 2 yrs.

The department is unionized and in the CBA the only item I have found is that if they perform a job that is above their classification that they need to be compensated as such. But the agreement does not address his current issue that I can see. As mentioned before, HR is not responsing to his requests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">