• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory work for free?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noscosays

Hello all! I have a question from a friend. They have been employed as a gymnastics instructor by a gym in South Carolina for the past few years. Each year the gym hosts an expo and requires all employees to work at the event. However, my friend has never been paid to work the event, and to the best of my knowledge none of the other employees have either. My question is, can this employer legally require employees to work an event without pay? My friend is a part time employee of the business and the employer withholds federal taxes, so they are not independent contractors.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello all! I have a question from a friend. They have been employed as a gymnastics instructor by a gym in South Carolina for the past few years. Each year the gym hosts an expo and requires all employees to work at the event. However, my friend has never been paid to work the event, and to the best of my knowledge none of the other employees have either. My question is, can this employer legally require employees to work an event without pay? My friend is a part time employee of the business and the employer withholds federal taxes, so they are not independent contractors.
Please feel free to have your log on to ask his/her own questions. Thank you in advance for your gracious understanding and cooperation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">