• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Milage compensation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SHS4321

Hi guys. I work for a construction company, and my question concerns the legality of gas/milage compensation. For reference, I live in Washington State. I do not have a company vehicle, and am not supplied with a company gas card, or gas stipend each pay period.

I was given a promotion yesterday, and part of my new duties will require that I spend half my day at an assembly shop, and the other half at the main office that I usually work at. In the past, when I drive to job sites using my own vehicle, I expense the mileage and am reimbursed.

Total milage round trip each day from the office to the assembly shop is 45 miles. I raised the question about milage compensation, and was told that I am still responsible for paying my own way. I was surprised at this answer and disputed it, since I am still required to spend my afternoons at the main office. Based on this, can the assembly shop be considered a job site? If I was going to a traditional job site each day, the mileage compensation would apply, so why does my company think that not reimbursing milage is acceptable in this instance?

Thanks in advance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no Federal law requiring that you be paid for mileage, and there are only two states which require it. Washington is neither of them.

An employer may choose to provide mileage reimbursement, but there is no law that will compel them to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">