• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money deposited into my account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

d-jack

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky Employer in New Jersey

ok so im not sure if this belongs in this part of the forums but I thought this section best fit my issue.

Recently my previous employer made a direct deposit into my checking account. To my knowledge they did not owe me any money. I have contacted them via E-mail and phone calls telling them about it. It has been two weeks since this and the money is still in my checking account. At what point can I just say the money is mine and spend it? What do I do with this money its not like its $100 its $1020 even. I even got a pay stub for it though ADP who I always got my payroll information through and all of the money is untaxed reimbursement which I did receive regular reimbursements during my employment there.

ecmst12

The money will not ever magically become yours if you weren't supposed to get it. Put it aside so you're not tempted to spend it until/unless you get solid confirmation that it's not a mistake. They won't be able to remove it from your account at this point anyway, you'll have to return it to them yourself.

d-jack

Oh I was under the impression a direct deposit could be recalled. This company is Indian based with an office in new jersey and has the worst communication in the world part of why I left them. I did leave on good terms though. But lets say they never communicate for me to send it back in several months and I did spend it would they have any legal grounds or are they just SOL?

ecmst12

There's a limited amount of time that a direct deposit can be reversed.

No, there is no magic amount of time that the money will become yours if it was a mistake. Pretty sure I said that already. If you shouldn't have gotten it and they ask for it back and you refuse, they can sue you and possibly pursue charges of theft by conversion.

LdiJ

There's a limited amount of time that a direct deposit can be reversed.

No, there is no magic amount of time that the money will become yours if it was a mistake. Pretty sure I said that already. If you shouldn't have gotten it and they ask for it back and you refuse, they can sue you and possibly pursue charges of theft by conversion.
I can't see theft by conversion in this scenario. Apparently the company believed that he was still due some expense reimbursements. They may or may not have made a mistake, but I think its more likely that the OP didn't realize that he was still due some reimbursement of expenses. Companies don't cut reimbursement checks without expense reports or other paperwork. Its not like a paycheck that someone might mess up about stopping.

d-jack

so the consensus is I just sit on this money forever until they ask for it lol that kinda sucks. And the problem Is since I left the company I can no longer log into my time sheet and reimbursement app to see if there was something from months ago I never got paid until they closed my account I just have to take their word for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">