• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

more than 1 garnishments at one time-in court & out of court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spring-time

What is the name of your state? MI

Thank you, pattytx, for your last reply to me.

The attorney/collection attorney who is threatening to garnish my wages has made me an offer. I can agree to let them deduct 25% of my disposable income ($80.00) electronically from my bank account weekly. This will avoid going to court & avoid me possibly incurring the court costs.

I understand that under the law, I am protected from being garnished for more than 25% of my disposable income. A second creditor would have to wait to garnish until this garnishment is finished. Or the 2 creditors would split the 25% garnishment (kinda rare.)

My question is, am I still protected by this law, even with an out of court agreement? What if I have the out of court agreement for 25%, can a second creditor get a court ordered garnishment on top of that? The attorney/colletion agency said that they would send a letter to the second creditor to prove that I am paying 25% but it is an out of court agreement.

pattytx

My opinion would be that yes, the second creditor could get a garnishment order and the employer would be obligated to withhold against it, up to 25% of your disposable income. This is because the agreement with the first creditor is voluntary and your employer would have no knowledge of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">