• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I accept Check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MO

I used to work on a contract basis for a small company in Hawaii. The owner of the company has breeched the payment terms of the contract with me many times and has proven himself to be untrustworthy.

Now, he's sending me monthly checks to make up for back wages he owes me. The problem is, he's sending me checks, and I wrote to him and told him that I'd no longer accept personal or business checks and would only accept payment in the form of money orders or cashier's checks. The payments are large and often difficult to cash, and I'm always afraid they will bounce as often in the past, he hasn't had the funds to cover them. Also, the bank puts a long hold on them.

He refused my request . He wrote me a letter which said: "My accountant refuses for me to send payment in any form but business checks."

He just doesn't want to do it.

My question is, do I have to take these checks? Do I have the right to insist on a different form of payment?

I just received a check from him today, and I'm thinking about tearing it up and sending it back to him.

Thanks,

B.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Hmm, let's think about this.

You refuse to accept the payment he is sending you because you don't like the form it comes in.

You contact the state DOL to complain about unpaid wages. The DOL contacts your boss, who shows them proof that he sent you checks which you refused to accept.

What do you suppose the DOL is going to say to you?

HomeGuru

cbg said:
Hmm, let's think about this.

You refuse to accept the payment he is sending you because you don't like the form it comes in.

You contact the state DOL to complain about unpaid wages. The DOL contacts your boss, who shows them proof that he sent you checks which you refused to accept.

What do you suppose the DOL is going to say to you?

**A: I just love your response.

badgirlree

When we dont want to wait for a check to clear we use a check cashing service, they take a small percentage but sometimes its worth it, and they get to wait for the check to clear. But by all means TAKE THE CHECK!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">