• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My old employer has not paid me in over 2 months!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikki01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I went to work as a physician in a clinic and after I started working there, I realized that the job was not what they told me it would be. I have a contract which states that I can leave anytime during the first month without written notice and without any reason. I had a good reason. I was very uncomfortable doing the kind of work that they asked me to do. I tried to stick it out and after about a week of being almost in tears at work, my boss asked me about if I thought that I would leave, since I seemed to be so unhappy. I agreed to stay on for a second week to give them a chance to find a new doc.

My boss was part of a partnership and it appears, from what he told me that they got so angry with him and me that they fired him and decided that they were not going to pay me a dime. They even said that he should send me an invoice for the clinic rent and staff salaries! They feel that their lawyers could handle things and I would not need to be paid. My boss said that he would stay on to run the business on his own and that he would pay me himself. Now, it is 2 months later and he won't even return my calls or emails. I don't know what to do. I have tried to be professional through this whole thing. I even offerd to accept smaller payments if he can't afford to pay me the full amount right now. What is the next step? Is there a way to get him to pay me without suing him? It's hard to talk to someone who won't even return your phone calls. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you have a contract you will have to show it to an attorney in your state to find out what your options are. Florida in its infinite wisdom :rolleyes: did away with the state DOL some few years ago.

You can try going through the US DOL but they will only help you claim hours worked times the Federal minimum wage, which is lower than the Florida minimum wage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">