• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Managerial Salaried employee overtime pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kouta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I work as a Service Technician in North Carolina in a non managerial salaried position. I leave my place of residence at 7am and return home at 5pm Monday thru Friday, traveling in a company vehicle throughout the state. I am being asked to work longer hours per day without any additional pay or be at risk of being terminated of my employment. Does my employer have the legal right to terminate my employment for refusing to work over 40 hours a week on salary pay without any over time pay?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are not entitled to pay for time travelling from home to work, or from work to home, regardless of whether you are in a company vehicle or not. Paid time starts when you arrive at your first stop of the day and ends when you leave the last stop of the day.

Your employer has the legal right to terminate you for refusing to work additional hours. You have the legal right to file a wage claim if you are not paid correctly.

IF you are salaried exempt (and based on what you have posted I have no way of knowing if you are or not) then as long as you are paid $455 hours a week or more then you can legally be required to work 24/7/365 and you would not be entitled to additional pay under the law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">