• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not being paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aboardman95

i was looking for some advice. I started a new job on the 12th December 2015 after being taken on on the 25th November. I work in a cafe at the weekends doing 12.5 hours without breaks. I haven't yet been paid as the company are very unorganised and didn't take my bank details until around two weeks ago.

The original payday was the 1st Jan however this was brought forward to the 22nd December so people had money for Christmas. Therefore not being paid for one week (cut off points) is understandable. However the next payday was the 1st Feb and after taking all my details and asking me to complete online courses, I have still not been paid and according to the manager this is a result of me not being on the payroll system.

After speaking to the manager and requesting my pay immediately (due to my last pay day being in November at my other job) I was told I would be paid by emergency pay. However this had to be authorised by payroll to avoid any chance of double payment. This was on Tuesday and it is now Thursday evening and I have still not heard anything after pushing and pushing.

I just wanted to know my rights regarding whether I can refuse to work until I get paid as I have no petrol money to get to and from work, or whether I have to go into work regardless of whether the issue has been sorted. I'm starting to worry as I have worked there now for 8 weeks, 9 this weekend and haven't been paid a single penny. I'm not good with this type of thing so was looking for some advice if anybody has any.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We ask for your state for a reason. It makes a difference what options you have.

Aboardman95

State

I do not have a state I'm from the UK (England). Was just looking for general advice didn't think it would vary too much depending on country.

eerelations

"General" doesn't cut it when dealing with the law. Employment law in the UK is very very different from employment law in the US. What is illegal in the UK may well be perfectly legal in the US. The volunteers here have expertise in US law only (which is why the instructions you deleted said "US Law Only") and as a result will be unable to assist you. I recommend you find a site that deals with UK employment law. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">