• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not being reimbursed vacation time.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThomasFouraker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I am a Non-Exempt Firefighter/Paramedic employed by a County Government. Recently, we were mandated to attend ONE day of an 8 hour training session. This training was offered on three separate days one occurring on each shift (A, B, and C) I was unable to make it to the first two days due to family commitments and obligations. Thus to avoid any negative repercussions for not attending any of the days I scheduled vacation time so I could attend on a day I was scheduled to work. (The training was intended to be taken outside our normal shift however it was not specified that A shift had to take either a B or C shift class, B shift had to take an A or C shift class etc... just that we had to attend ANY ONE day) I showed up on time and in uniform per policy. During this time I was under the discretion, direction and control of my supervisor. I had timed breaks, and a timed lunch period.

I was told my time there would not count as hours worked because I was on Vacation that I took voluntarily and my Vacation time would not be reimbursed.

To me, if the Chief did not want to compensate me for the work hours, he had the authority to send me home and discipline me for not completing the training. However I feel I became an "On-Duty" employee once I signed the roster and was allowed to be there.

Also, we are obligated to put on our time sheet any work performed outside our normal work days (i.e. if I were to drive up on a wreck and render aid within the county I work, I have to get the run number and log that on my time sheet for a minimum two hours pay, or longer depending on how long I assisted.) Thus, what would happen if I assisted on a call while I was on Vacation?

Thank you for any help and input. I plan on meeting with Administration in a few days to discuss this further.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is very important.

You said the training was mandated. Who mandated it? Is is required for your licensing? Is it required by the state? The town?

ThomasFouraker

This is very important.

You said the training was mandated. Who mandated it? Is is required for your licensing? Is it required by the state? The town?
The Chief of Operations for our department mandated it. In fact, in his email and on the memo it stated if an employee does not attend they will be considered AWOL and disciplined accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">