• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paid the correct amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janosbayard

Maryland-

I was hired 9/2010 and was given, in writing, that I would be paid 70k and after 60 days my salary would increase to 80k. It stated exact dates and payroll amounts.

After 60 days the owner of company said they 'just couldn't do it' and kept my salary at 70k. Because this is such a bad economy I didn't want to risk my job so I continued to work until 7/2011 when I was terminated. Their reason- 'things are getting worse not better'.

I discovered while working there that another person was hired in the same fashion (although they didn't have it in writing like I did). They were hired at 30k and promised 40k in 30 days. After 30 days, the owner said they couldn't afford it and only raised to 32k

This company plays 'gottcha'. They hire at one amount with promises, in writing, of more money then don't deliver. This isn't sales or anything commission based; it's a property management company.

I've filed a suit against them for approx. 7k which is the difference of what they should have paid me?

Do I have a case?

Thanks!

Antigone*

Maryland-

I was hired 9/2010 and was given, in writing, that I would be paid 70k and after 60 days my salary would increase to 80k. It stated exact dates and payroll amounts.

After 60 days the owner of company said they 'just couldn't do it' and kept my salary at 70k. Because this is such a bad economy I didn't want to risk my job so I continued to work until 7/2011 when I was terminated. Their reason- 'things are getting worse not better'.

I discovered while working there that another person was hired in the same fashion (although they didn't have it in writing like I did). They were hired at 30k and promised 40k in 30 days. After 30 days, the owner said they couldn't afford it and only raised to 32k

This company plays 'gottcha'. They hire at one amount with promises, in writing, of more money then don't deliver. This isn't sales or anything commission based; it's a property management company.

I've filed a suit against them for approx. 7k which is the difference of what they should have paid me?

Do I have a case?

Thanks!
Hardly:cool:

ESteele

You stated, “I've filed a suit against them for approx. 7k which is the difference of what they should have paid me?” How and where did you file “suit”? If you actually filed suit, did you retain counsel? If so, what did your attorney tell you?

With respect to your question, no one here can offer an informed prediction of your case’s outcome since we cannot review the underlying agreement. FWIW, many “employment agreements” are drafted (by management) in such a manner that the employer can subsequently change the terms of the compensation with impunity. If, however, your agreement is indeed a contract (and not just an “offer letter”) and it does not provide the employer any wiggle room, then the company remained obligated to pay you in a manner consistent with the agreement’s terms.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Maryland-

Thanks!
Before you did so, did you show the associated documentation to a Maryland attorney and ask if it was a legally binding contract?

swalsh411

You have precisely zero chance of winning. You continued working knowing you were being paid the lower amount. That was your acceptance of the lower salary.

eerelations

I'm surprised you were able to file a suit based on the information you've provided here. And why are you posting here when you have an attorney to answer your questions?

swalsh411

And sometimes people like to ask the same question over and over again hoping they will get an answer they like better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">