• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

o/t pay only after 10 hrs a day

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdubb5150

I was wondering about a job I have in agriculture that pays overtime after 10 hrs a day and 50 a week. My employer is a custom farmer and doesn’t have any land himself and I was hired as a truck driver originally as I have a CDL. Do I fall into the category that gets o/t only after 10 hrs a day or 50 a week?

Proserpina

I was wondering about a job I have in agriculture that pays overtime after 10 hrs a day and 50 a week. My employer is a custom farmer and doesn’t have any land himself and I was hired as a truck driver originally as I have a CDL. Do I fall into the category that gets o/t only after 10 hrs a day or 50 a week?
Where are you located, kdubb5150?

FlyingRon

California does have an "over ten hours in a day" overtime provision. However, there are exceptions. Of course, if you are an exempt employee, you're not due any overtime. Jobs (healthcare and otherwise) with an adopted alternate workweek, camp counsellors, emergency personnel, etc... may have different limits.

The rule for agricultural workers (not covered by other exemptions is):

One and one-half times the employees regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 10 in a workday and for the first eight hours worked on the seventh (7th) consecutive day of work in a workweek, and for two times the employee's regular rate of pay for all hours worked over eight on the seventh (7th) consecutive day of work in a workweek.

However, no overtime pay is required on the seventh (7th) consecutive day of work in a workweek when the total hours of employment during such workweek do not exceed 30 and the total hours of employment in any one workday thereof do not exceed six.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">