• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio Unemployment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mommaof5ohio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I called on Friday and spoke to a woman regarding on the proper steps to take when you go back to work. Needless to say, she spoke in circles, contradicted herself a few times and I'm even more confused now than I was when I called.

Situation:
On weekly unemployment over a month now. When initially started the claim, 1.5 weeks was held and not paid. I do understand there's a waiting week, but she said that it never gets paid. So I asked, then do I file the week work started back and she said yes, file as normal for that week ending date, but the following week, do not file unemployment, just stop all together, do *not* put a return to work date in as it "creates more paperwork".

Needless to say, I'm utterly confused. It clearly states on there to list any wages earned. Although I don't have that exact amount I could estimate it. It also clearly states that it's fraud to file an inaccurate claim and clearly asks for a return to work date.

I'm scared to file, like she said to do. I do not want to be charged with fraud and lets be honest, is anyone really going to believe I was advised to file, not put in wages earned and/or not input a return to work date and just stop filing?

Any thoughts and input on this situation would be appreciated. I'm supposed to file today and haven't. This all makes me sick to my stomach.

Thank you in advance!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
File for all the time you were out of work, including any partial weeks. If you do not know the exact amount that you will earn in the last week of your claim, estimate to the best of your ability. Include the return to work date.

Seriously, if you do it her way that will NOT be considered fraudulent as long as you do not file for full weeks after you've gone back to work. But rather than have you freaking out about it, do it this way. They KNOW that occasionally you have to estimate wages. That's what you're SUPPOSED to do.

Mommaof5ohio

File for all the time you were out of work, including any partial weeks. If you do not know the exact amount that you will earn in the last week of your claim, estimate to the best of your ability. Include the return to work date.

Seriously, if you do it her way that will NOT be considered fraudulent as long as you do not file for full weeks after you've gone back to work. But rather than have you freaking out about it, do it this way. They KNOW that occasionally you have to estimate wages. That's what you're SUPPOSED to do.
Thank you!

My husband said to just let it go since there were hours worked and most likely nothing will be received from unemployment since the gross was more than what the benefit amount is. I just like doing things the right way and the representative contradicted herself and what the online form indicated. I'm not unemployment saavy so I thought calling was the best route to go and it only confused me more.

Much appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">