• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Options and 401 K vesting and resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JBF2391

What is the name of your state? California

Situation: I have a situation where I am planning to turn in my resignation April 11th to be effective April 22. I am delaying the annoucement because I become fully vested in my 401k on April 20th. In the policy manual my employer request that I am giving 2 weeks notice.

Question: Can they just ask me to leave and not accept my two weeks, there by cutting my vesting peroid short?

Situation: I currently have stock options which are vested but they are in the black out peroid for trading. The black out peroid will extend beyond my termination date. I tried to execute them before the black out peroid but there was an error in my account which prohibited me from doing this. About 1 year ago I received a notification from my company that the account was set up correctly. The option agreement states that the options expire upon termination of employment. I have tried to execute the options and just hold the stock but the administrator is unwilling to allow me to do so.

Questions: I also have ~6 weeks of vacation, can I use the vacation to extend my employment through the blackout peroid? Do I have a legal case to collect my option proceeds?

Thanks for the help.

JB

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Question: Can they just ask me to leave and not accept my two weeks, there by cutting my vesting peroid short?

Yes, they can. If you want to be certain of having your 401k vested before your resignation, delay resigning until the vesting is complete.

Questions: I also have ~6 weeks of vacation, can I use the vacation to extend my employment through the blackout peroid?

If your employer agrees to it, yes. But they have no legal obligation to allow it.

Do I have a legal case to collect my option proceeds?

That depends entirely upon the terms of the option agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">