• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ou-of-state garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SmallBiz

What is the name of your state? California
I run a medical billing service in California - all of my employees work and reside in California. I just received an order to withhold and deliver wages (a garnishment) from the State of Washington Employment Security Department against one of my employees. I have no clients or any business presence in Washington.
What are my responsibilities in complying with this order? It is not a court order, and was signed by a "Commisioner's Representative". It states that I am required to respond within 2 weeks from the date I received the notice.
If I don't comply, could be in trouble with the State of Washington? On the other hand, if I do comply, I will almost certainly be hit with a complaint by my employee for (possibly) unfairly withholding wages...

JETX

What are my responsibilities in complying with this order?
If you have no business 'presence' in Washington, you have no obligation to comply with an order of an out of state court.
Simply return the order to the court with a very nice letter explaining that you are beyond the jurisdiction of the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">