• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outstanding Salary Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marlawre

What is the name of your state? Florida

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I worked for a company that had financial issues - it was privately capitalized - and due to infrequent pay periods and late payment of monthly salary, I resigned and left. It has now been 8 months since I left and am still owed one month's salary. There have been repeated promises of the payment of this - I have all the emails dating back to when I left. I just can't seem to find what my rights are regarding this owed salary - either in Federal Labor Law or Florida Labor Law - and what I can do to pursue this further. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

pattytx

Your recourse is to either file a claim for unpaid wages with the federal DOL (Florida did away with theirs several years ago), but they can only enforce minimum wage.

Do you know where the owners are? A civil suit would probably be your best bet. Contact an attorney.

marlawre

Yes - I know where they are - because I couldn't find anything about enforcement of that, I assumed it would have to be a civil thing - I was just wondering if there was any statute that basically made the non-payment of money owed (both salary and wages) illegal.

Thanks for the advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">