• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime law for on emergency on call

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zacharydy4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I recently quit working for an apartment management company for various reasons, one of which is the insistance of responding to after hours emergency calls with no compensation. For instance if a resident had a window broken I would respond to the call and go to the property to board the window up.

Is this a legal practice? They required me to provide my personal number to residents and use my personal phone for business with no compensation, nor was any provided for time spent on the property after business hours. Can I go after them for back pay?

Zacharydy4

Non Exempt as far as I know, nothing I've found in my research would suggest otherwise. I was paid 15/hr for property maintenance

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then while it is legal to require you to respond to emergency calls, you must be paid for the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">