• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owed Wages from former Employer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TommyK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

My former employer owes me wages, he has since sold his business but I still work for the new owners.

OK reading the forums I see that I have to go to CA DLSE in order to start the ball rolling.

My question/s
Looking at the form (DSLE Initial Report or Claim) I have to fill out specifically the "AGAINST" section I am unsure what to put here.
I says "Name of Business, City, etc etc" but I don't want to go after the business I want to go after my former employer.

Can I put his name & his address in this area?

I can of course ask the clerk when I head down to the Labor Office but I'd like to be as informed as possible, before I do so.

Sorry very new to this so please beg my ignorance.

eerelations

If you want to go through the CA DLSE, you have to claim against the business. If you want to claim against your former employer as an individual, you can file suit in small claims court.

Mass_Shyster

You need to sue the entity that employed you. If this was a corporation, you need to sue that corporation. If the previous owner was the employer, you need to sue the previous owner.

So, was the 'business' you worked for a person doing business as XYZ company, or was it a corporation, LLC, LLP, LLLP, something else?

TommyK

I believe it was a person doing business as XYZ company, he no longer owns the business. I still work for this business.

So looks like I need to file a small claims?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">