• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid Time Off Pay After Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UAMike

Arizona

I was working for a very large health insurance company and was let go at the beginning of December. I had accrued some PTO over the course of the year, but they did not send me a check for this amount. When I called HR to ask why I wasn't paid, they simply responded that they 'don't do that'. Additionally, on my last day of employment, I drove into the office (I normally telecommute) only to be fired within an hour of being there. Though it's not a large amount of time or money, I do feel as though that time should have been included in my final paycheck as well.

When I researched what the law stated about a situation like this, it seems as though an employer must pay their employee any PTO that they have accrued. This seems to be true in Arizona at least. I have a feeling that such a large corporation wouldn't have such an obvious oversight in the law... so am I missing something here?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Arizona law does not require the unconditional payout of vacation or PTO. If company policy is to pay it out they must; if company policy is not to pay it out they needn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">