• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past Employer Paid withheld taxes to IRS but paid my wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

satishp3

Hi

My wife's past employer has paid all the withheld taxes for the year 2005 to IRS, but has not paid any wages to my wife. Recently we got a CP200 notice from IRS regarding the discrepency found.

My wife was on H1B with this company in the year 2005, she has complained with DOL for not paying any wages in the year 2004 and the case is under investigation in the year 2005.

This case was settled in the year 2006 and started getting her outstanding backwages in installments and getting 1099 appropriately.

she has not resigned but not worked in the year 2005 and completly unware of these taxes withheld.

We have informed to IRS about this situation and requested us to submit a letter from this company explaining about this discrepency.

Today when I am trying to contact this employer, we are not receivng any response.

How can I approach to this problem? Which attorney help is needed for this? Can anyone advice me how to proceed in this issue and what are my next steps.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

adamsinnc

IRS can be bigger problem than not being paid

IRS's processes are mostly automated. Assuming you filed a 05 tax return, the CP 2000 is a Notice of Underrporting. The income reported to IRs, but not reflected on your tax return.

Depending on where you are in the collection process you may have several options. You only have 90 days to amend a return under a Notice of Underreporting. Be careful about corresponding with IRS. There are thousands of employees, and it isn't likely you'll ge the same one twice. By the time you think you've gotten somthing accomplished, it is likely you will have moved into IRS collection process for the unpaid balance they think you owe.

You best bet is to contact the Tax Payer Advocate first. It's also free. There are also reputable tax resolution firms that can help. Be careful of those too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">