• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay check questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caresident07

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm asking on behalf of my mother. She knows very limited English and had asked me to look at her pay stub. She works as a janitor. On her pay stub, I see two hourly rate. One at $10/hr and one at $9/hr and then overtime rate of $14.91/hr. She works at two different locations so I assume that's why there are two different hourly rate, but I don't know how they got $14.91 as the overtime rate.

Also, they reimburse her for milage since she uses her own car to drive from one location to another. She would submit her milage every week, but they don't pay her mileage every pay period (every 2 weeks). They'll pay every 3-4 pay period. Is this legal? I ask her if she receive 2 paychecks at times, but she says no she only receive one paycheck. I think they may include the milage payment with her regular pay but I'm not sure.

I plan to take her to go talk with her employer and explain how she gets paid. I want to know if this is a good idea and what should I ask. Thank you for your time.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm asking on behalf of my mother. She knows very limited English and had asked me to look at her pay stub. She works as a janitor. On her pay stub, I see two hourly rate. One at $10/hr and one at $9/hr and then overtime rate of $14.91/hr. She works at two different locations so I assume that's why there are two different hourly rate, but I don't know how they got $14.91 as the overtime rate.

Also, they reimburse her for milage since she uses her own car to drive from one location to another. She would submit her milage every week, but they don't pay her mileage every pay period (every 2 weeks). They'll pay every 3-4 pay period. Is this legal? I ask her if she receive 2 paychecks at times, but she says no she only receive one paycheck. I think they may include the milage payment with her regular pay but I'm not sure.

I plan to take her to go talk with her employer and explain how she gets paid. I want to know if this is a good idea and what should I ask. Thank you for your time.
That is generally a bad idea. It really doesn't look good for an adult to need another adult to take on their employer for them. That is generally a good way to get your mother fired.

Its pretty clear that the overtime rate is prorated between the two separate job locations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">