• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay deducted for breaks not received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

being_robbed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I work at a hotel. Half the time I'm night audit and half the time I work the front desk on the PM shift. When I work night audit, I'm there by myself, I'm alone only occasionally on the pm shift. Our company has started taking away a half hour of pay for every shift we work to make up for a lunch that we rarely get. When I do get a lunch break, I never get a full half hour. Is this legal and if not, how can I best deal with it?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is legal that you not get a break. It is legal that when you do get a break, it is not a full half hour. But it is not legal that you lose pay for breaks you did not take.

If you are unable to reach a resolution with your employer, your recourse is to file a claim with the state DOL.

FlyingRon

It is legal that you not get a break.
No it is NOT. If the employee works an eight hour shift, he is required to be given time to eat a meal.
It is legal that when you do get a break, it is not a full half hour.
The statute doesn't mandate a specific time.
But it is not legal that you lose pay for breaks you did not take.
True and even for breaks you do take, if they are shorter than 20 minutes, you must be paid for them.

Information here:
http://www.dli.mn.gov/ls/FaqHours.asp

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, I read it as OVER eight hours, not eight hours and over. Mea culpa.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">