• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay increase differences

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lgladviceplz

So the company I work for in CA hasn't given me a raise in 2 years. Private company not federal. I've asked about raises but was told company is not making enough money. Come to find out quite a few coworkers above my payscale and below all have received raises. I do not have disciplinary marks against me or poor performance record. Should I confront my boss on why he has skipped a raise for 2 years?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So the company I work for in CA hasn't given me a raise in 2 years. Private company not federal. I've asked about raises but was told company is not making enough money. Come to find out quite a few coworkers above my payscale and below all have received raises. I do not have disciplinary marks against me or poor performance record. Should I confront my boss on why he has skipped a raise for 2 years?
Yours is not a legal question.

Lgladviceplz

My apologies. First time asking for legal advice. Basically what happened is I saw the payroll for the company showing what everyone makes. Is it legal for me to discuss what I saw with other employees? Because of what I saw I've realized my boss has been lying to me about not giving raises. Due to this fact it's been two years since I've gotten a pay raise. Other employees above and below me have all gotten them. I feel like I am being treated unfairly do I have any legal stance in a situation like this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My apologies. First time asking for legal advice. Basically what happened is I saw the payroll for the company showing what everyone makes. Is it legal for me to discuss what I saw with other employees? Because of what I saw I've realized my boss has been lying to me about not giving raises. Due to this fact it's been two years since I've gotten a pay raise. Other employees above and below me have all gotten them. I feel like I am being treated unfairly do I have any legal stance in a situation like this?
There is no law that requires anyone to give you a raise. Furthermore, snooping in company records is definitely grounds to be fired.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Barring a legally binding and enforceable contract, which you have not indicated you have, there is one time and one time only when the law dictates that you be given a raise. That time is when minimum wage has been raised by either your state legislature or an act of Congress and your current wage is below the new minimum.

And people who use what other people are earning as a reason to ask why they haven't been given a raise have a high likelihood of finding themselves very shortly without a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">