• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay Stubs / CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjjccefbr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have not been getting paystubs. Is there a penalty for this? Does the employer pay the state or me the penalty if so? Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have not been getting paystubs. Is there a penalty for this? Does the employer pay the state or me the penalty if so? Thank you!
What does your employer say when you inquired about your pay stub?

(No, you don't get anything from penalties that may apply.)

FlyingRon

If the state assesses a penalty, that's between the employer and the state. No, you don't see any of that money.

However, you are allowed to bring your own suit to which you may recover up to $4000 plus legal fees.

But before you do any of that, as Zig says, did you ask why you aren't getting the stubs. Employers are allowed to instead use an electronic statement (ONLINE web site or the like) rather than paper stubs. Your chances of prevailing on a lawsuit are pretty limited to people who are likely not only not providing stubs but just paying out of a general account rather than doing the full employee thing (including tax withholding, payments for UI, etc...).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">