• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paycheck being held!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coldthought

What is the name of your state? maryland
i recently resigned from my position as manager and i lost my keys to the front door so i could not return them, each manager is issued a set of keys to the cafe. I know that when you resign or terminated you are suppose to turn your keys in or they will hold your final pay until they change the locks or recieve the keys. At the time that i resigned i honestly couldnt find my keys and i explained to them that during all the excitement i may have lost them wich thats normal for a manager to misplace there keys, well they said they were going to hold my last pay to i find them and return them! Usually they change the locks and deduct that from you paycheck and thats fair! They wont send me my check and i dont know what to do. I think its very personal because i resigned, we had a manager loose her keys twice in a week and they deucted the amount from her check the last time she lost them, is this fair? can they hold the check and not give me anything?

eerelations

What is the name of your state? maryland
...i explained to them that during all the excitement i may have lost them wich thats normal for a manager to misplace there keys, well they said they were going to hold my last pay to i find them and return them!
First, what "excitement" are you talking about?

Second, employers can't deduct from or withhold the pay of employees for any reason (except taxes and so on) unless the employees have agreed to this in writing. Do you have written agreement about this with your former employer?

If you don't, contact your state or the federal DOL to get your pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">