• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paycheck bounced.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pattimelt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I worked as a marketing rep hawking credit card applications at an event in April, 2009 as an independent contractor. The company I worked for is based out of FL.

After 9 weeks, I finally got my paycheck for the time I worked, and noted some strange things: a) check processed May 21, 2009; b) Check dated June 5, 2009, and c) check finally mailed to me July 5, 2009. Not a big deal, cause it's all good, I thought.

Took the check to the bank the check was drawn on, and when I went to the teller, the teller told me that they could not cash the check, as there were insufficient funds in the account. This check was only for $318.00.

I have attempted to contact the marketing company, and have left numerous voicemails and emails for them, but they have not responded. Not only did my check bounce, but also the checks of the other 3 people that also worked that week. The supervisor that I worked for actually talked to the marketing company last Tuesday, and they were supposed to call him back that afternoon, but have yet to contact any of us about when we can expect our pay.

What can I do?? I really need this money to pay bills, and it's taken too long to receive payment in the first place, since we were told it would be six weeks and it was nine weeks. How long should I wait before contacting the police?? What would happen if the police got involved? Will I ever see this money???

ecmst12

This is not a criminal matter. As an independent contractor, your only recourse is to sue in small claims court.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I worked as a marketing rep hawking credit card applications at an event in April, 2009 as an independent contractor. The company I worked for is based out of FL.

After 9 weeks, I finally got my paycheck for the time I worked, and noted some strange things: a) check processed May 21, 2009; b) Check dated June 5, 2009, and c) check finally mailed to me July 5, 2009. Not a big deal, cause it's all good, I thought.

Took the check to the bank the check was drawn on, and when I went to the teller, the teller told me that they could not cash the check, as there were insufficient funds in the account. This check was only for $318.00.

I have attempted to contact the marketing company, and have left numerous voicemails and emails for them, but they have not responded. Not only did my check bounce, but also the checks of the other 3 people that also worked that week. The supervisor that I worked for actually talked to the marketing company last Tuesday, and they were supposed to call him back that afternoon, but have yet to contact any of us about when we can expect our pay.

What can I do?? I really need this money to pay bills, and it's taken too long to receive payment in the first place, since we were told it would be six weeks and it was nine weeks. How long should I wait before contacting the police?? What would happen if the police got involved? Will I ever see this money???
Something I've found effective is to call the bank every day and verify the check. If you give them the account number and amount, they will tell you if there are sufficient funds to cover the check. I once did this every day for six months, until I was able to cash the check.

pattimelt

Something I've found effective is to call the bank every day and verify the check. If you give them the account number and amount, they will tell you if there are sufficient funds to cover the check. I once did this every day for six months, until I was able to cash the check.

I tried to do this, and all the bank will tell me over the phone is if the company has an account. They say they cannot tell me if the account has any funds to cash the check over the phone. This is Bank of America. I can't go to the bank every day to see if the check is good..

CourtClerk

The problem with small claims court is that you can't serve them in FL, so I hope they have an agent in CA, or he'll be going to civil court, which will cost him $200 just to file or going to FL to sue them.

Mass_Shyster

I tried to do this, and all the bank will tell me over the phone is if the company has an account. They say they cannot tell me if the account has any funds to cash the check over the phone. This is Bank of America. I can't go to the bank every day to see if the check is good..
It looks like the rules have changed since the last time I had to try to collect a bad check. You can check out Check Fraud to see if you have enough to file a check fraud complaint.

In any event, you should carry the check around, in case you pass by a BOA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">