• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payroll Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

openquestion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
I work for a company that you either pick up your check or they will only mail your check if you provide a self address envelope, we are located in the state of Nevada can they do that make you provide a self address envelope?

HC1432

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
I work for a company that you either pick up your check or they will only mail your check if you provide a self address envelope, we are located in the state of Nevada can they do that make you provide a self address envelope?
Is the check made available for pick up on a regularly scheduled business day for the company? And is the pick up location the same location that the employees would work?

Basically the law has very little to say about the method of payment and is more concerned with the timing of when the payment would be available to you. Provided they are making payments to you at least twice per month and there are no other requirements or restrictions that would be considered an unreasonable burden or inconvenience then they are not breaking any wage laws. If the check is available for pick up at your regular place of work during regular business hours, I am not sure this would be unreasonable or that the employer would be blamed for any delay this is causing for you. The requirement that the mailing option can only be used if you provide your own envelopes is unusual. I am not sure if this is a cost or work saving measure, or if it is actually meant to be a deterrent for choosing the mailing option. Regardless, I do not believe it to be illegal, especially considering that there is the pick up option which is likely very reasonable and meets the requirements for the method and timing of payment.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agree with HC1432 (not that that's unusual - I rarely if ever disagree with HC1432)

While it's an unusual requirement and I'm not sure I'd want the administration of such a policy, I can't think of any laws it's violating given the totality of the circumstances.

Dandy Don

Ask them if they will consider asking employees whether the employees want to have their checks sent via direct deposit to their individual bank accounts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">