• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payroll ck lost in mail, emp charging me fee.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sugarspice

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
Ex-employer claims they mailed me my payroll check via a out-sourced payroll co., it has been over 2 1/2 weeks and no check. Confirmed all parties had my correct address. Out sourced Payroll co., says the check was mailed and I have to pay $25 stop payment fee and they will issue another check. The co. that employed me doesn't want to be involved since they don't mail the checks. Can Payroll co. they use legally charge me to stop payment on a check the may have never mailed on there end? If I have to pay, can I have them send me confirmation from the bank or pay stub info confirming a actual ck from a earlier date was ever stopped? My understanding is this Payroll Group has had staffing issues and probably screwed up on their end but don't want to own up. Any advice helpful. Thanks!What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

pattytx

There is no law in Louisiana prohibiting the onpass of the stop payment fee to the employee when a check must be stopped. Do they want you to pay in cash/check or are they wanting you to authorize a deduction from the replacement check, or your next paycheck.

If the employer offers direct deposit, I recommend you enroll ASAP.

sugarspice

I just figured they will deduct $ from future check to be cut. I had enrolled in direct dep. but this specfic ck got issued before it went into effect. I am sure this is a losing battle that I will never have any proof if the ck was ever mailed or not. I will wait a few more days to see if it shows up or the payroll co. takes time to check their office it see if it was already returned.

After that, I will chalk it up to a lesson learned...never work for a co. that won't allow you to p/u you ck and your forces you to get it via mail and if it doesn't show up..you pay $25!

Thanks for your response!!! I know it was a minor issue and most people probably wouldn't taken the time to respond. Thanks again and have a great day!!!!!!:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">