• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payroll error- cut a check or add to next check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyfsayvur

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have had several incorrect checks because I did not clock in or out properly. The payroll manager now states that he is sick of fixing my errors and cutting me a separate check. He said that from now on if there are payroll errors, they will be added to my next check. Is this legal?

Heinz 57

Actually, no this is not legal. A timekeeping error will not circumvent an employer's obligation to pay you in accordance with the law. If a timekeeping error is made, the employer should make an effort to correct the mistake as expeditiously as possible. This is not very well enforced in California, and many employers, chose not to pay employees in accordance with law.

Last edited:

JETX

Actually, no this is not legal. A timekeeping error will not circumvent an employer's obligation to pay you in accordance with the law. If a timekeeping error is made, the employer should make an effort to correct the mistake as expeditiously as possible. This is not very well enforced in California, and many employers, nevertheless, chose not to pay employees in accordance with law.
This is NOT a 'timekeeper' error... this is the EMPLOYEE error ("I did not clock in or out properly").

Ozark_Sophist

This is NOT a 'timekeeper' error... this is the EMPLOYEE error ("I did not clock in or out properly").
Still doesn't change the fact you are wrong. Employer's responsibility to pay for work performed.. Employee's responsibility to follow employer's rules for clocking in and out. Employer should warn and then terminate.

pattytx

It's also an error on the part of whoever is supposed to be approving the time. No, the law does not provide an exception to allow "puttin it on next check". But realistically, filing a claim with the DLSE could take MONTHS to resolve. OP, clock in and out properly and this is no longer an issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">